One of the best ways to increase your online traffic is to improve your website for organic search. This requires what is commonly referred to as on-page SEO. And the biggest advantage of this tactic is that the additional traffic you get from these changes is free. The following actions will help you to achieve that goal.
Ideally, the best place to start to this task is with your domain name. Whatever your main keyword may be, you want to try and include that word in the domain name you choose for your site.
If however, you already have a domain name already purchased and a developed website, there are several other things you can do to improve your website for organic search.
- Use your keywords in your site’s title tag and description – Search engines use the title tags, meta tags, and meta descriptions to help determine what your site is about. When you provide keywords in these places, you help Google to learn this information.
- Use your keywords in the H1 and H3 tags – This is another place that Google gives a lot of weight to in order to determine the purpose of your webpage.
- Interlink pages within your website – Interlinking or linking from one page on your site to another page on your site, without doing so excessively, is another plus that Google likes and a good way to improve your website for organic search.
- Add links of other related high PR (page rank) to your site – To some this may seem like the very deed that will keep your site out of page 1 results. The fact is though that Google likes to see these links. It’s an indication to them that this is a quality site interesting in providing the best information to its readers. Now mind you, these links don’t need to be overly obvious to detract the customer from staying on your site. Simply add links on a page or two on the site in a place where they can be found…but not necessarily easily located.
- Use alt image tags – an alt image tag is simply a tag used to name a picture you’ve placed on your site. The use of alt image tags is definitely a factor to consider in order to improve your website for organic search. Photos are a valuable asset to include on any site. When you tag that photo with your keyword, you’ve given the search engines another indication as to what your site is about.
- Use anchor text – anchor text is the text or alternate words used to name a link on your site and it works in much the same way as the alt image tag. For example, if my link was http://azdogsports.com, (I use this reference simply because I’m a huge dog fan, J), and my keyword is dog training Phoenix, I would use the keyword dog training Phoenix and make it a clickable link.
- Use meta tags – This action is probably the most questionable among the experts when it comes to your efforts to improve your website for organic search. The reason is that many skilled and knowledgeable SEO types believe the meta tag reference is no longer used by Google as it once was. And I believe Google has even mentioned this fact. Here are my thoughts, as well as those of many very successful internet marketing friends of mine. Some testing shows these tags are still useful. That being the case, if using them doesn’t harm the rank of the site, then adding them in certainly doesn’t hurt.
Incorporate these changes on your online page in order to improve your website for organic search, then watch your ranking…and your traffic explode.